Summertime – the doors and windows are wide open,
fresh breezes waft through the rooms,and we spend more time outdoors than inside. Keeping some semblance of cleanliness and order to the outside of our home is as important as the inside.
Here are some tips:
- Create a routine to regularly sweep your deck and patio. Remove dirt engrained between the boards, and hose your deck down a couple of times throughout the season.
- Wipe down all the outside windowsills and patio railings.
- Check your window screens. If they are dusty, take them off and wash down and make sure they are thoroughly dry before setting them back into the window track. Wipe your door screens, frame and door handles.
- Pick up your outdoor rugs and front door mat, and shake them out and sweep and mop the floor before repositioning back on floor.
- Carefully take your light fitting covers off; clean and dry thoroughly before replacing.
- Wash down any marks on your outside walls and clean light switches.
- Clear away spiderwebs and sweep up dead leaves that have blown around the front door and deck or porch.
- Make sure your planters are well watered; cut off dead leaves and buds. Check if any need to be moved – more light or more shade.
- Wash down the outside of the planters.
- Wipe down your garden furniture and clean tabletops.
- Wash down your grill or BBQ with a moist stiff scrubbing brush and washing soda to remove grease.
All it takes is a little time, attention, regular care and maintenance for the outdoor part of your home to continue to look appealing – feel fresh, clean and inviting.