Cork is a natural bark stripped off the oak, and has been used for many decades – particularly in Europe. The appeal has now come forward because as a floor, not only is it comfortable – the natural aspect makes it an environmentally friendly product.
Cork floors are great for kitchens, family rooms, hallways and entrance halls, and have a number of features and advantages:
- They are softer and more comfortable to stand on, especially while working in the kitchen.
- Cork floors insulate against hot and cold temperatures; generally feeling warm underfoot.
- Cork has a greater resilience and memory, which allows it to recover after impact.
- Cork is scratch resistant.
- Perfect because of its hypoallergenic properties.
- Cork flooring reduces noise.
- Cork is a natural insulator.
- The texture and uniqueness of cork creates an interesting visual.
- Easy to clean and maintain – sweep, mop or vacuum.
- The expansion or shrinkage from moisture or heat happens more evenly and in all directions; whereas the expansion of wood products across the grain will generally show in the joints.
- The high-density construction of cork floors allows them to withstand heavy traffic.
Cork floors are typically more durable than other floors, and if maintained well can last for decades.